Dear New Jersey Destination Imagination Family,
I hope you are all doing well today. I hope you are all successfully navigating through the winter weather.
We would like to take this opportunity to provide you all with the latest information on our joint tournament with New York DI. Please take the time to read the following information carefully. We thank you in advance for your patience.
- Our tournament is scheduled for Saturday April 10, 2021
- The deadline for teams to register for our tournament will be February 28, 2021. We request that you please register your teams and identify your challenge as soon as possible so we can organize the tournament and identify all the necessary resources to make this a great experience for all of our teams.
- Unfortunately, you will need to enter your team information in two places, The DI website and again on the Register Your Team website. This was supposed to corrected last year so teams would only have to enter their information one time and it would transfer to the other sites. With the pandemic, this project was not completed. We thank you for your patience in entering the information two times. We have raised the issue with DIHQ. They are aware of it and are working to improve the process for next year.
- Please note the following dates for Submission of your Presentations:
- Instant Challenge for all teams – Release Date for IC’s is Friday March 5 @ 3:00 AM – Team Submission Deadline for your IC solution – Monday March 8 @11:59 PM
- Improv Teams – Release Date for Unknowns – Friday March 12 @ 3:00 AM – Team Submission Deadline for your Improv Presentation – Monday March 15 @11:59 PM
- All other Challenges – The Deadline for Presentation Submission is Monday March 29 @11:59 PM
- Please read the “Rules of the Road” and the “Tournament Guide” both of which are in the Resource Area on the DI Website. These two documents contain instructions on how to upload your presentation to YouTube. Read these documents carefully.
- Please ensure all Tournament Data Forms are completed and submitted. We will provide specific instructions on how this will be accomplished in a future communication.
- Once the presentations and paperwork has been received, the Prep Area appraisers will review the presentation to confirm it is the proper length for the challenge requirements, there are no issues (can be viewed) and all paperwork is properly completed. If there are any questions, teams will be contacted directly and given the opportunity to correct any issues. Our goal is to ensure all our teams are given the opportunity to present their solutions in the best possible manner.
- For Instant Challenge – the “Rules of The Road” require that each team member has their own camera and are separate. No team members should be together in the same space.
- The January Release of Instant Challenges and Improv Unknowns can be found in the Resource Area. They can be used for practice. The February Release should also be available this coming week after the Monday deadline submission passes.
- In order to ensure Teams keep within the defined time limits for their presentations, we are asking each team to clearly identify the start and end of their presentation (usually teams will say “Time” when they are done and can continue to say “Time” on their video at end). As the presentation will be recorded and submitted, please help the appraisers to be clear on the start by saying “Begin” or “Go” or some other phase of your choice. The presentation recording must meet the time requirements defined in the challenge and we want to ensure the content of the presentations are properly appraised.
- Each of the Challenges allows teams an option to provide a second video presentation describing how they developed their solution to the challenge. We will not be requiring our teams to submit this second video as teams will be interacting with the appraisal team directly on tournament day.
- Once we have all the team presentations, the Tournament Directors will work out a schedule for the presentations for each challenge, just as we always have done for our in-person tournaments. Team will be sent two (2) Zoom links for their presentation, one for the presentation and one for the team’s question and answers with the appraisal team. This second link will be unique for each team.
- The first link will be a general presentation room link for the challenge which will remain open for the entire tournament. Anyone can join the presentation room to view the presentations.
- At the team’s designated time, their presentation will be played for the appraisers and the audience to view. Attendees will be muted so as to not interfere with the presentation.
- After the presentation video has been completed, the team will be asked to leave the presentation room and utilize the unique team-specific link to join the appraisal team to provide the opportunity for the team to discuss the details of their solution with the appraisal team and answer any questions the appraisal team may have for the team. We feel this provides the closest possible experience to the in-person tournaments and allows the team to fully explain their journey on how they arrived at their solution to the challenge.
- We will be utilizing a new (for New Jersey) Mobile Scoring program which has been used by NY and at Global Finals. Raw scores should be available to teams soon after their performance. We will be providing additional information on how any inquires will be handled once we have worked out a process.
- New Jersey and New York teams will be appraised separately. Teams from New Jersey who place 1st , 2nd and 3rd in their level and challenge will be awarded trophies. We will work out the logistics of how the awards will be delivered.
- At a minimum, teams placing 1st in their challenge and level will be offered an invitation to 2021 Global Finals which is scheduled to be held in Kansas City in July. Global Finals is scheduled to be an in-person event at this time. Additional details will be provided as they are finalized.
- We are still accepting entries for the NJDI Scholarship Contest. If you know a candidate who is interested, please have them create a 3 minute video explaining how DI influenced their lives and send it to njdi_directors@Yahoo.com (there is a _ between njdi and directors) by March 20, 2021.
Thanks to everyone for your patience and participation in this unique situation. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. We will continue to provide you with the latest information as it becomes available.
Please take care and be safe,