Welcome back, NJDI!
We would like to take this opportunity to provide an update on our 2020-2021 Destination Imagination season. We believe we have developed a reasonable solution for all our participants during this unusual situation. Please take the time to read the following information carefully. We thank you in advance for your patience.
The Tournament will be held entirely online. Owing to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, we will not be able to hold an in-person Tournament this year. But we will still have a great celebration of creativity online, at our online, virtual, 2021 NJDI Affiliate Tournament!
Each team will:
- Solve a Team Challenge and an Instant Challenge.
- Meet online with a prep-area Appraiser, where they will “check in” to their Challenge.
- Present their Solution to the public, and to our Appraisers.
- Have an opportunity to answer post-presentation questions asked by the Appraisers
- Be scored by the Appraisers.
- Receive their raw scores and have the opportunity to discuss them with the Challenge Master.
- Be acknowledged for the hard work that they put into their Solution.
- Teams can return to the Presentation Room once they have completed their presentation to view other teams if they wish.
At the end of the day, we will hold a Virtual Awards Ceremony:
- Medals will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd placing Teams.
- It will be announced which Teams will be invited to participate in Global Finals 2021.
- Special Awards will be announced.
Collaboration with New York Destination Imagination
NYDI and NJDI will be holding a joint Tournament this year. NY and NJ teams will both present their solutions in the same event, and scored by the a shared set of Appraisers, but NY and NJ teams will be ranked separately, and send their own separate teams to Global Finals. Please check back soon for more information on this topic.
Please note that the information has been updated as of February 15, 2021. Please reach out with any questions.
Teams and team managers are advised to review the following information:
How to Register for the Tournament
Register Your Team is our online registration system. Tournament registration is now open!
The latest date teams can purchase team numbers for the 2020-21 program year is Sunday February 14, 2021. The deadline for teams to register for our tournament will be February 28, 2021.
- Please see Rules of the Road for important new information about how to present your Team Challenge at our Virtual Tournament. Section IX. VIRTUAL TOURNAMENT CONSIDERATIONS FOR TEAM CHALLENGE, on page 38, contains this important information. We urge all Team Managers to review Rules of the Road thoroughly. There are many changes this year!
- Your selected Challenge may have additional considerations for Virtual Tournaments. Please read your Challenge carefully, as the Challenges have been adjusted significantly to permit online presentation.
- Video Submission Deadlines:
- The Next Level (Technical) — March 29, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time
- In Theory (Scientific) — March 29, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time
- Epic Remix (Fine Arts) — March 29, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time
- Case Closed (Improvisational) —
- The Improv Unknowns that your team must use will be released on March 12, 2021 at 3:00 a.m Eastern Time.
- Your Video Presentation must be submitted to NJDI by March 15, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time.
- Built to Last (Engineering) — March 29, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (tentative)
- Project Podcast (Service Learning) — March 29, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (tentative)
- Critter’s Big Adventure (Early Learning) — March 29, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (tentative)
- Please see Rules of the Road for important updated information about Instant Challenge at Virtual Tournaments. The information can be found in Section XII. VIRTUAL INSTANT CHALLENGE, on page 45.
- The Instant Challenge Release Date will be March 5, 2021 at 3:00 a.m. Eastern Time.
- Teams must submit their recorded Instant Challenge solution by the Due Date which is March 8, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (confirmed).
- DI Inc. has published several wonderful sets of Practice Instant Challenges! We especially recommend the Jan 15 Instant Challenges – FOR PRACTICE ONLY – Letter file, as these are most representative of the Challenges that we will be using, but the other Practice I/C’s in the resource area are also useful. See Resource Area → Documents → View Documents, in the Challenge Materials → Instant Challenge – U.S. Letter folder.
We fully recognize we are working through a unique situation which will hopefully be resolved to the benefit of everyone shortly. DI is all about flexibility and adapting to the situation to meet and overcome any challenge. We are confident our team members possess the skills and determination to achieve success in this and any endeavor they choose to undertake.
Thank you all for your support. As always we are here to support you and answer all of your questions. We will provide additional information in the coming weeks. Please do not hesitate to reach out via email.